- This year the New Salem Broadband project moved from planning to implementation.
- The Broadband Committee and Municipal Light Board, with the assistance of dedicated town employees and volunteers, have worked with Westfield Gas & Electric and the State to keep the project moving forward as quickly as possible.
- The first phase of network construction is preparing poles and conduit tocarry fiber throughout the town. Most of this work is complete.
- Next the fiber will be strung creating the network backbone that is connected to the Internet. This work starts this summer.
- Finally, the fiber will be run from the street into the houses and businesses of each subscriber.
- Contracts with WiredWest and Westfield Gas & Electric are in place for network management and Internet service.
- To stay abreast of developments over the summer check for updates in the New Salem News. To subscribe send an email to newsalemnews.
- The sign-up period and process will be announced after the stringing of the network’s fiber backbone is under way. Workshops will be offered, and announcements will be made to provide details about fees for service, home installation specifics, and sign-up and payment procedures.
- To simplify communication as the project moves forward, we are requesting that you supply us with your email address. A form to do this was enclosed with the FY20 tax bills that were recently mailed. Alternatively, you can send an email to broadband with your name, New Salem property address and your preferred email address.
- A summary of broadband progress in calendar year 2018 is in the Town’s Annual Report.
New Salem Broadband Committee & Municipal Light Board